Friday, September 10, 2010

Day 1: An apple a day? Think again...


For some years I have never considered my health into account. I ate whatever tasted great, drank anything that satisfied my thirst (or simply wanted to have a try on the mixed ingredients), ate any kind of meals without having so much worry in timing - I could ate a full basket of nasi goreng by midnight and then went straight to bed. Not a single worry hit me...

Until that one moment. It was when my brother was sent to ER at 11pm for an extreme pain in his chest, his heart. I was totally dumbstruck! We have a rather similar health history - a never-on-normal-level of cholesterol. I guess it goes in the gene, but blame it to anything. It got me scared and brought me to go check to lab of my blood chemical...voilaaaa.... it's 240! Fyi, normal level is 200 and I have never been below that level.

So here I am now, deciding to take full advice of a friend, Ricky Atmaja, who has spent almost an hour of his Friday morning to preach me about the importance of health and introduced me to detoxification (or detox, for short) as one of so many ways to cleanse my body.

He challenged me to take a full three day of consuming nothing but fruits and water, and really nothing but those stuffs. "What is so difficult about that? It's a piece of cake for me....veerrry easy!". But those words just successfully ate me back!

I compared this Detox program was like cleaning up my workstation. Challenging! Those of you who really knew me at work (or simply by looking at my working desk) would certainly understand what I meant about this analogy... hehe..

Today was just my first day. I started my day with two glasses of water then had a lunch and dinner with papaya. Only those stuffs went through my stomach. Nothing else. Did you think it was easy? Have a try then... Not only it got your appetite of (any) food become extremely (yes, extremely!) bigger that you see some 'peyek teri' was like looking at a biiiig cheesy and fully-fruity cheese cake, but also it got your tamper. I became easily to get annoyed for a very small stuff....you could ask my brother about this.

During my afternoon lay-down, in order to keep my mind occupied (rather than thinking about how nice those kastengels cookies, smokey 'bandeng', a slice of choco cake in fridge, a yummy chitato cheese, etc), I have this rather frightening realization that our body can really absorb everything we drink, eat, and breathe. So every cup of coffee, every spoon of creamy corn soup, every sip of cappuccino, every bite of a sirloin steak, every portion of spaghetti carbonara (best one!), or very breath of air, polluted or otherwise is pulled into our body and processed by our liver. The good taste actually reached only until your throat, the rest your body who will suffer. But that short route was the one that gave us a satisfaction, happiness, great mood...you name it everything as a good effect of having great food (great friends is a bonus)

So the battle is even far to finish. I still have two more days to go.... *sigh...* Tomorrow my menu will be melon and apple. Hopefully by doing it during the Lebaran holiday, it is the right decision.

An apple a day? think again....
I miss rice... and anything that comes with it...hahaha...

No comments: